Mort Family Research 2009

Return to the MORT Family Homepage

Write to

Mort Photos - 1880 - Mort Research - 1994 - 1995 - 1996 - 1997 - 1998

1999 - 2000 - 2001 - 2002 - 2003 - 2004 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 - 2009 - 2010

Mort Tombstone PhotosMort Photos 2008

In 2006 I converted the Mort Family data on the computer from Family Roots to The Master Genealogist. Still lots of clean up to do and editing before the reports become meaningful to read but there are now 13,000 names in the data base. Check the Index of Names for the latest list. The previously unindexed parents of the those you married into the family are now being added and information posted for the last 10 or so years to the website will be added as times allows . Please send whatever information you may have on the Mort Family so that it can be shared with other Mort Researchers.   Many of the names appearing on the Research Pages HAVE NOT been entered into the Mort data bases as we have not identified if or how they are related.   If you know someone here please let us know who they are.  If your family data is not entered in the records please let us know.

Index of Names

58th Thomas William Mort
Family Reunion
Sunday June 28, 2009
Home of Mark & Mary Mort
Home of
Dee and Donna (Mort) Jackson

Family Fun & Visits     11:00
Mort Pot Luck Dinner   12:30

2009 Mort Reunion will be held at
Home of Mark & Mary Mort
8579 East 250 South
Pierceton, Indiana

Home of
Dee and Donna (Mort) Jackson
1390 North State Road 5
Larwill, IN 46764

June 28, 2009

8579 East 250 South – From US-30 and Mill
Street (250 South) go east on CR 250S
to the 2nd house east of Mort's Dairy Farm.
From State Road 15, at the Railroad track turn
east, at US-30 name becomes 250S continue
to 2nd house east of Mort's Dairy Farm.
7th house north of US-30 on SR-5

Rex & Sally Gradeless
Auburn, Indiana
2009 President & Secretary/Treasurer

2007 Mort Reunion Photos

2008 Mort Reunion Photos

the Free Press
Free Press Staff Writer
January 18, 2009
Pain of 3 teens' slayings in UP is fresh
Families brace for trial in March

     Everywhere Sylvia Mort goes, she gets a hug. People tell her they'll pray for her family. They tell her that God will walk her through the grief.   She tries not to go out much anymore. Every embrace and pat on the shoulder brings up memories of her son Bryan Mort. He was killed, along with two other Iron Mountain-area youths, one July day when a camouflaged gunman emerged from the woods on the Wisconsin side of the Menominee River at the state border and started shooting, shaking the small community and devastating families.
      It has been nearly 6 months since the shooting, but the hurt hasn't faded, as the community braces for the criminal trial in March. Scott Johnson of Kingsford is facing first-degree homicide and other charges in the deaths of Bryan Mort, 19, and Tony Spigarelli, 18, both of Iron Mountain, and Tiffany Pohlson, 17, of Norway. The 38-year-old dropped his insanity plea last week, but is still pleading not guilty. He faces life in prison if convicted. The Marinette County district attorney has handed the case over to the Wisconsin Attorney General's Office.
      The Morts already have booked a motel for the trial close to the circuit court in Wisconsin's Marinette County.   "We'll be there," Sylvia Mort said, "every day." Never the same again
      Life has changed in Iron Mountain, a normally quiet, slow-paced town, where conversations still drift back to the shootings.  A memorial has been raised near the East Kingsford Train Bridge, where the youths were killed. Tributes have been made at local concerts. People mourned the loss and went to church faithfully, if only for a few months until the pain started to fade.
      But there is residual grief for family and friends. It's embedded, deep, in the hearts of the moms and dads, the grandmas and grandpas, the snowboarding buddies and pastors. It sneaks up in grocery stores and around holidays, at the sight of pictures and in dreams.
      "They're still searching, still searching," said Pastor David Snyder of Iron Mountain's First United Methodist, Bryan Mort's church, where people have come looking for answers. "Why does God let this kind of stuff happen?" 'One foot in front of the other'
      Tony Spigarelli's grave was decorated for Christmas.  His image, taken from a high school senior picture, is etched on his headstone. His mother, Terri Spigarelli, goes to his grave every day.
      "She told me the other day, that if she doesn't go and say goodnight to Tony, she cannot sleep," Tony's grandmother, Donna Spigarelli, said.
      Sylvia Mort and her family go to the cemetery every day, too. Bryan Mort and Tony Spigarelli's graves are only four plots apart, Sylvia Mort said. When she takes flowers to Bryan, she takes some to Tony, too.   The family tells Bryan "how our day was and how our day was without him," Sylvia Mort said last month from her job at the Iron Mountain Salvation Army. "How we take life every day, one foot in front of the other, without him being around."
      For family members, it doesn't seem possible that five months have passed. Donna Spigarelli thought it had been only three. Tony's room at home, she said, is closed up and his parents still have his Mustang. Donna said Tony's mom, for a while, still had a hamper full of his dirty clothes.
      If he were here now, Tony would be on break from his first semester in college, probably snowboarding every day with his buddies.  "Now," said Christian Harrington, 19, Tony's friend, "it's going to be weird."

What happens next

      There is fear among the victims' families about Johnson's trial. What information will be revealed? Will there be pictures? What will be the outcome?
      "It's all going to come out as to how she was killed," Shirley Pohlson, Tiffany Pohlson's grandmother, said last month. "I don't know how well we'll do."
      According to the Marinette County District Attorney's Office, Johnson, who gave himself up after the shooting, confessed and told investigators that he had been planning a shooting for at least four years.
      His first defense attorney, who is no longer representing Johnson, said Johnson -- a former soldier in the U.S. Army -- may have undiagnosed depression. Johnson's current attorneys could not be reached for comment.
      Donna Spigarelli said she wonders what would have happened if her grandson had stayed on the Michigan side of the river. She thinks a lot about the what-ifs.   She said it's hard to look at Johnson in court.
      "He looks," Donna Spigarelli said, "like a perfectly normal person."   She wonders if he feels remorse.

Kitsap Washington, the Kitsap Sun, Dec 13, 2007

To Our Neighbors,

The Mort family would like to thank everyone who helped out to save our house, and many thanks to all the people who stopped to bring coffee and snacks. i would like to thank, B+T Mobile Tire, Richard and Lisa to help flag and Greg, Ray and Kevin the hard working friends and family, and to those people who I don't know your names, but you all were a great help ... and I just want to say thank you to all and God bless.

Larry Mort


Kitsap Washington, the Kitsap Sun, Dec 13, 2007
Sunday, October 22, 2006

Lisa Koski and Dusty Mort, both of Port Orchard, plan to wed July 14, 2007, at Farm Kitchen in Poulsbo.

The bride-elect is the daughter of Janus and Dale Koski. She graduated from South Kitsap High School in 1998. She graduated in 2002 from the University of Washington in Tacoma and earned a master's degree in education from Pacific Lutheran University in 2005. She is a third-grade teacher in the South Kitsap School District.

Her fiance is the son of Cindy Choate of Port Orchard and the late Bruce Mort. He attended South Kitsap High School and works at Earth Works Inc., as a heavy equipment operator

Thu, Mar. 05, 2009
Michigan man pleads no contest to killing 3 teens
Associated Press Writer

     A man faces life in prison after he pleaded no contest Thursday to gunning down three youths and trying to kill six others in a river ambush near the Wisconsin-Michigan state line last summer.
     Scott J. Johnson, 38, of Kingsford, Mich., withdrew his not guilty pleas earlier Thursday and pleaded no contest to 10 felonies. Marinette County Circuit Judge Tim Duket convicted him of three counts of first-degree intentional homicide, six counts of attempted first-degree intentional homicide and one count of second-degree sexual assault.
     Johnson's plea spares him a jury trial that was set to start March 16. Duket told Johnson that he could face a maximum of three life terms plus 445 years. The judge will decide at a May 21 hearing whether Johnson will be eligible for parole.
     Prosecutor Gary Freyberg said he had no doubt Johnson would have been found guilty at a trial.
     "We are delighted that the victims don't have to go through the trauma of a trial," Freyberg said. "They have suffered tremendously."
     Johnson's lawyer, public defender Shannon Viel, said it was Johnson's decision to change his plea and that there were no plea negotiations Thursday.
     "He understands his situation," Viel said. "He is not hiding anything. He is not in any denial."
     Johnson dropped an insanity plea in January, and reports filed by court-appointed psychologists who examined him in the fall have not been released.
     Prosecutors said Johnson, an unemployed Army veteran and divorced father of two, fired at a group of youths at a popular swimming spot along the Menominee River in July, killing Tiffany Pohlson, 17, of Vulcan, Mich.; Anthony Spigarelli, 18, and Bryan Mort, 19, both of Iron Mountain, Mich.
     Daniel Louis Gordon, 21, of Kingsford, Mich., also suffered a superficial back wound from shrapnel.
     Johnson, wearing camouflage, hid in the woods overnight and turned himself in the next day.
     The criminal complaint said Johnson thought about committing a random shooting for four or five years. He told investigators he stashed weapons in the woods for at least a year in preparation.
     Johnson also was convicted of sexually assaulting a 24-year-old woman near the river the day before the shooting. He told investigators he knew police would be looking for him after the assault and that he plotted to kill as many officers as he could, then wound up shooting the youths when four of them started climbing toward where he was hiding, the complaint said.
     His mother, Judy Johnson, has described her son as despondent since his wife left him in 2001 and took their children to Ohio. Johnson served five years in the Army and was honorably discharged in 1994, she said.
     David Mort, the father of a victim, said he was relieved there would be no trial. His son was killed near a train bridge between state lines, and he has pushed for Johnson to be tried in federal court in Michigan, where a death penalty would be possible.
     Viel and prosecutors declined to comment on the possibility of federal charges, referring questions to Michigan prosecutors. After-hours messages left at U.S. attorney's offices in Lansing, Mich., and Marquette, Mich, were not immediately returned Thursday.

Canadian Immigrant Records 1928-1930
RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series C-1-a
Port of Arrival Quebec

Given Name Age Sex Nat. Arrival ShipPage Microfilm
Mort Percy John23M4/26/1929DUCHESS OF YORK, C.P.O.S.47T-14751
Mort James49MEn6/23/1928REGINA, White Star Dominion36T-14744
Mort Gertrude51FCa10/13/1928REGINA, White Star Dominion22T-14750
Mort William17MSco8/2/1930LETITIA, Anchor Donaldson64T-14767
Mort Miriam20FEn11/13/1931DUCHESS OF RICHMOND,
Canadian Pacific
Mort Florence27FEn7/19/1930LAURENTIC, White Star54T-14766

Edith Josephine Mort
of Bend, Ore.
Jan. 13, 1921 to Sept. 10, 2008

Edith Mort passed away peacefully at St. Charles Medical Center in Bend, Oregon. She died of natural causes. Her family was at her bedside.
      Edith was born to Samuel Butler and Elda Mize in Junction City, Or.
      They eventually moved to Sequim, Wa., where they took up farming. She moved to the Port Orchard area after High School. After losing her first husband in World War II, she met and married Donald R. Mort. They raised four children together. They enjoyed many camping, fishing and boating trips together.
      Edith was best known by the locals for her exceptional talent as a baker and a cake decorator. What started out as a hobby soon turned into a thriving family business. Her beautiful cakes were always in high demand. She also baked pies and pastries for Myhre's Cafe in Port Orchard. After retirement and some traveling, she and her husband settled in with her daughter and son-in-law in Idaho. In 1994, she lost her husband to cancer. Shortly after, she moved to be with her son and daughter-in-law in Bend, Or.
      She was preceded in death by her husband, Donald R.; two sons, Edwin A. and Bruce R. Mort.
      She is survived by a daughter, Kris Kime of Bellevue, Idaho; and a son, Donald of Bend, Or.; as well as many grandchildren, great-grandchildren, nieces and nephews.
      Edith was laid to rest in Bellevue, Idaho, near her daughter's residence.
      A memorial will be planned at a later date.

Kitsap Sun

Births for April 2009
To Lisa and Dusty Mort of Port Orchard, a son, April 13.

Alfred Mort was the son of Jonathan Mort
Margaret Mort was the daughter of James Mort

Alfred Cecil Mort & Margaret Mort
Anna Belle Mort & Vaughn Lawrence Clark
Eldon Leroy Miller
Obituary from the Tampa Tribune

Eldon Leroy Clark

CLARK, Eldon Leroy, 88, of Plant City, Fla., passed away Tuesday, June 2, 2009. Mr. Clark was born in Virginia, Nebraska and moved to the Tampa Bay area 20 years ago. Mr. Clark was an electrical engineer for Boeing and was the head engineer on the first flight to the moon. He was an U.S. Army Air Force veteran of World War II, past president of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, a minister for children at different hospitals as a clown and a member of Shiloh Baptist Church. Mr. Clark was also very instrumental in writing computer programs for Marjon Specialty Foods, Inc., they are still used today in their daily operations. Survivors include his wife, Madge Clark; daughter, Marcia Miller and husband, John, all of Plant City; grand- children, April Miller and Amy Tucker; and five great-grandchildren. Funeral services will take place at 6 p.m., with visitation to follow 6:30-7:30 p.m., Friday, June 5, at Wells Memorial Chapel. Pastor Joe Bowles and the Rev. Barry Forte will be officiating. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the National Kidney Foundation, 1040 Woodcock Rd., Suite 119, Orlando, FL 32803. Wells Memorial Funeral Home

The California Digital Newspaper Collection offers over 200,000 pages of California newspapers spanning the years 1849-191l: the Alta California, 1849-1891; the San Francisco Call, 1893-1910; the Amador Ledger, 1900-1911; the Imperial Valley Press, 1901-1911; the Sacramento Record-Union, 1859-1890; and the Los Angeles Herald, 1905-1907

Daily Alta California
May 10, 1852


ARRIVAL OF THE STEAMER OHIO. – The steamer Ohio, Capt. Hilliard, arrived from San Diego yesterday afternoon. She left San Diego on the 4th inst., has experiened fine weather, and brings about fifty passengers.
      We acknowledge the kindness of the purser for furnishing us with a list of passengers, memoranda, and items of news. ...

PASSENGERS Per Ohio— ..., J P Mort, ...

Daily Alta California
Tuesday July 10, 1888
Page 6
Occidental Hotel
W. Mort & w, S Leandro

Daily Alta California
October 30, 1889
Page 6
Grand Hotel
P C Mort, San Andreas

The San Francisco Call
Monday, April 22, 1901
Page 9
Hotel Arrivals
Palace Hotel

G. M. Mort, Cal

The San Francisco Call
Friday, Jun3 26 1903
Page 14

Journey to San Jose and Are Arrested by Police.

      Six boys, whose ages range from 14 to 16 years, were arrested in San Jose yesterday by police officers of that city. The lads are Warren Halbrook, James Crimmins, Albert Wilson, James Barris, George Mort and Peter McGivney.  All are residents of this city and left their homes to seek their fortunes untrammeled by parental advice.
      Peter McGivney seems to be the prime mover in the wholesale runaway and according to statements made by the parents of some of the lads, young McGivney lured them away from their homes at night and at last pursuaded them to forsake their parents and go with him to seek other fields.
      Peter McGivney, according to several of the parents of the boys, is a wild youngster who did nothing but make trouble for all with whom he came in contact.  He is 16 years old and resides with his mother at 218 Langdon street.  The lad though naturally wild, is not altogether to blame, as the neighbors say his mother has neglected him and permitted him to roam the streets at will.
      Mrs. McGivney was seen last night in a barroom near her home.  When asked about her runaway son, she replied that it was nobody's business what became of him or where he was.
      She finally admitted, however, that he was wild and that he went away from home on Wednesday and that he could stay away as long as he pleased, as she did not intend to send for him, for the simple reason that he was old enough to take care of himself, being nearly 16.
      James Barris is the son of Frank Barris, a grocer at 446 Clementina street.  His father stated last night that the boy had been working in a machine shop.  The father, said that his son had always been a good boy till he met young Mc- Givney. The last named finally induced him to stay out at night and since that time, his father states, he has run wild.
      Albert Wilson is the son of Mrs. Rose Wilson a widow living at 81 Converse street. Mrs. Wilson said her boy told her he was going away to pick hops during vacation and she supposed that he was in good company.  She added that Albert has always been a good boy, but that he must have been influenced by bad companions.  She will x send for him immediately.
      The mother of James Crimmins had a pitiful tale to relate.  Her husband died on the 16th lnst. and left her and her children in destitute circumstances.  James had been workine in a rolling mill and earned $1 a day, the principal support of the unhappy family.  Several days ago he quit work and began associating with young McGivney.
      His mother accompanied him back to work last Wednesday, but he again left his post and went away with McGivney and the others.  Mrs. Crimmins says that she is in destitute circumstances and that she is unable to send for her boy.  She blames McGivney for leading the lad astray as he had always been a good, steady boy before he formed the acquaintance of the last named.

The San Francisco Call
November 23, 1903
Page 4


Members of Local Union Give First
of a Series of Yearly

      The members of Local Union 544 of the Furniture and Piano Drivers' and Helpers' Union held their first annual ball last evening in Union Square Hall on Post street.
      The dance was attended by a large number of the drivers, and at 8:30 there were fully two hundred people in line for the grand march.
      At the conclusion of the dance refreshments were served
      Those in charge of the dance were: ... Floor committee — ... C. Mort, ....

Los Angeles Herald
Friday, March 2, 1906
Page 5
Piano Recital

      Mrs. Clara Mort Shoop, who has been a student of the Los Angeles conservatory of music and arts for the past few years, gave her graduating piano recital at Metropolitan hall Saturday afternoon.

The San Francisco Call
September 7, 1906
page 6
ROBBED WHILE ASLEEP.——Oakland, Sept. 6.—B. Tobig of 1530 Park street, Alameda, reported to the police today that he came from the Encinal city last night with J. Mort and went to bed after having several drinks with Mort, at the Hotel de France, at 662 Pranklln street.  When he awoke, this morning $95 that he had in his pocket was missing.
The San Francisco Call
Wednesday May 29 1907
Page 6
Stevedore Stabbed and Later
Shot in Same Wound
by Assailant
Injuries Barely Bandaged
Before Deadly Bullet
Is Fired

      Daniel McCarthy, a stevedore, was stabbed under the left arm last night by Hiram V. Wheeler, teamster for the Standard oil company.  In less than two hours, and while being supported to his home in Vermont street near Fifteenth, he was shot down by the same man, and the bullet, piercing the bandage, lodged in the knife wound and caused his death within, five minutes.
      While the dying man was being carried to a nearby saloon, Wheeler escaped.  He was tracked to his home at Ninth and Brannan streets by Sergeant A. D. Layne and Patrolman F. Suttman. They listened outside the door a few minutes and heard Wheeler with friends planning to put up a fight against arrest.  The policemen burst the door suddenly, covered the crowd with revolvers and demanded Wheeler.  He gave himself up and was booked at the central station for murder.
      McCarthy and Wheeler had been at enmity for some time, though the police have not been able to learn the cause of their differences. They have fought several times.  Last night they met at Eighth and Mission streets and renewed their quarrel.  In the fight that followed McCarthy was stabbed.  He was taken by two friends to the city and county hospital, where his wound was dressed.  He refused to tell what the trouble was about and declined to name his assailant.  His friends would not divulge their identity and McCarthy gave a fictitious name.  As soon as his wound was dressed he slipped out of the hospital and got away.
      His friends—who later admitted their identity—Ed Anderson and Joseph W. Mort, state that when they neared the corner of Alameda and Fifteenth streets Wheeler jumped out from behind the shadow of a fence and with revolver leveled at the heart of McCarthy called him a vile name and fired.  McCarthy threw up his hands and. received the bullet in the wound already made by the knife.  The missile sped to his heart and he was dead before he was laid on the table in the saloon at 122 Vermont street.
      Wheeler ran across the railroad tracks, fled through the freight yards and reached his home at Ninth and Brannan streets, where he gathered some friends and was planning, say the policemen, an attack on any arresting officers who might attempt to take him, when the sergeant and patrolman arrived and took him into custody.

The San Francisco Call
June 12, 1907, Page 2


Joseph W. Mort was leaving Judge Cabaniss' court yesterday morning after having testified in a criminal case, he was arrested by Detectives Burke and Smith and booked at the city prison on a charge of burglary.  Mort is said to be a member of the "Forty Thieves", gang that robbed the store of C. H. Brown & Co.. Sixteenth and Mission streets, on the night of May 20.  He ventured to the hall of Justice, thinking he was not under suspicion.  Harry Eastman and Myles Jones, charged with the same offense, appeared before Judge Weller yesterday and had their cases continued for a week.

The San Francisco Call
June 30, 1907

Three for Burglary, Two for Forgery
and One for Taking Mortgaged
Property Out of City

      Six defendants were held for trial in the superior court yesterday. Police Judge Shortall held Louis L. Carillo, a youth, on a charge of burglary for breaking Into tbe residence of Alfred Savage at 2515 Bush street on May 31.
      Judge Weller held William Mort and Harry Eastman for burglary for breaking into the Store of C. H. Brown & Co. at Sixteenth and Mission streets on May 20; Albert C Hawley on two charges and Valle Harris on three charges of forgery for forging the name of Baehr & Finberg to checks, and Emerson Watson for violating a section of the penal code by taking mortgaged property out of the city.  The property consisted of horses, harness and wagons on which he had borrowed $1,000 from Dr. R. C Cottingham.

The San Francisco Call
July 28, 1908, Page 7


Robert L. Mort. a bellboy, was booked at the city prison by Detectives Regan and O'Connell yesterday on a charge of grand larceny. On July 10 he was found in the room of Bill Gourdoupares at 307 Dore street. After he had gone $170 that Gourdoupares had under his pillow was missing.

The San Francisco Call
Sunday August 2, 1908, Page 24:

George L. Mort and Lawrence Dundero were booked at the city prison yesterday by Detectives Regan, and O'Connell on a charge of grand larceny.  Robert Mort was arrested Thursday for the same offense.  They are accused of stealing $l70 belonging to Bill Goudoupares. 307 Dore Street, which he had under his pillow.

Los Angeles Herald
February 22, 1905


Two Teamsters Attacked by a Couple
of Strangers on Main Street

      As William Edwards of 616 Maple avenue and A. P. Monday of 432 Jackson street were going home shortly after 12 o'clock this morning they stopped for a few minutes in front of the Eureka lodging house at 242 South Main street. Two strangers came up and started to quarrel with them. The newcomers refused to go away and soon a fight started In which one of the strangers drew a revolver and fired two shots at close range, but both went wild.
      Edwards and Monday, being unarmed, ran, but were stopped by Policeman Walsh, who was soon Joined by Policeman Mort.  Both patrolmen attempted to locate the men who had caused the trouble, but they had disappeared.
      The two men who had been attacked are both teamsters and declare that their unidentified assailants mistook them for some one else and tried to quarrel over something that Edwards and Monday knew nothing about.

The San Francisco Call
Sunday, May 9, 1909
Page 44

ARRAIGNED FOR BURGLARY—George Mort, alias Wison, was arrigned yesterday on a charger of burglary for breaking into a hosue at 526 Natima street and stealing a number of plumbing tools.

The San Francisco Call
Friday, July 23, 1909
Page 14

Cecil Jordan, an Old Offender;
Lectured by Judge Conley

    A sentence of 15 years' imprisonment was imposed by Judge Conley yesterday on Cecil Jordan, convicted of the burglary of carpenters' tools from a building at 526 Natoma street. Jordan induced George Mort to enter the store and steal the tools; and afterward disposed of them himself.
    He acknowledged two former convictions.
    "You have made up your mind to be a thief, and I am satisfied you will die a thief," said Judge Conley in passing judgment.  "l have no doubt that when you come-out of jail after serving this sentence some other judge will have to sentence you again. I am not sorry for you, but I am sorry for your wife and your child."

The San Francisco Call
Thursday March 17, 1910
Page 4

Stranger in Reading Takes His
Own Life
[Special Dispatch to The Call]
REDDING, March 16.— W. Nort, a stranger in Redding, committed suicide last night by shooting himself.  The body was found today in the rear of a saloon.  Mort was well dressed, about 65 years of age, and those who had talked "with" him say he was educated.
[Nort and Mort are correctly copied from article.]

The San Francisco Call
Wednesday March 20, 1901
Page 4
Oxford and Cambridge Rowers.

LONDON. March 19.—Oxford rowed over the full course from Mort Lake to-day in 20 minutes and 50 seconds' on a rough -flood .tide.  The Cambridge crew covered the same distance on Saturday on an ebb tide In 20 minutes and 48 seconds. Amador Ledger Jackson, California March 4, 1910 SHENANDOAH VALLEY Misses Grace and Melva Mort were the guests of Mrs. Ball on Saturday last.

The Sale Lake Herald
August 5, 1894
Page 14

      Joseph B Harris was appointed administrator of the estates of John Harris and Rebecca Harris deceased. W. J. Dallimore, John Mort and John Stoddard were appointed appraisers of the estate.
The Salt Lake Herald
December 5, 1896
Page 13

      Tuesday night Mr. John Mort was pleasantly surprised by the Presbyterian Christian Endeaver society, the occasion being his birthday. The evening was delightfully spent in pleasure and mirth until a late hour.

The Times Dispatch
Richmond, VA
October 15, 1905
Magazine Section

Dear Editor — My father has taken your paper for a long time and I have been very interested in the children's page and would like to become a member. Please send me a badge. Your friend. DOLLIE MORT, Mary Street, Bristol, Va.

The Salt Lake Herald
Wednesday, May 1, 1907
Page 1
Burial of Mrs. John Mort

      The funeral of Mrs. John Mort will be held at the First Presbyterian church at 4:30 o'clock this afternoon.  The Women's Relief corps and the members of the Pythian Sisters will attend in a body.

The Times Dispatch
Richmond Virginia
February 27, 1908

Three Elegant Entertainments in Celebration
of Washington's Birthday

      ABINGDON, VA. February 20.—Three beautiful enterainments were given in Abingdon on the 22d, all suggestive of Washington's birthday. ... The annual banquet of the senior class of Stonewall jackson institute was also gvien Saturday night. The senior colors, violet and white, composed the decorations, and the girls were dressed in white and wore violet ribbons. Those present were: iss Janie Huffard with Mr. John Mort, of Bristol. ... .

The Paducah Evening Sun
Oct 27, 1910, Page 6:

Second Workman Hurt when Boiler Exploded Prematurely.

      Chattanooga, Tenn., Oct. 26,—By a premature explosion of dynmite blast at Flintsone, Ga., eight miles from this city, this morning, Cicero Potter was instantly killed and John Morts seriously but not fatally hurt. The men were blasting in a clay bank for the Montague pipe works, and were alone at the time of the explosion. Potter's right arm and left leg were torn from his body. he was 40 years old and leaves a widow and three children.

From Larry Mort
Niagara Gazette
February 02, 2009

Niagara Gazette

        David L.  "Tubbs" Mort, 86, of South Plymouth, NY, passed away early Tuesday, January 27, 2009 in the Chenango Memorial Hospital.  
        The son of Cradock and Emma Ruth Lowery Mort, Dave was born in April of 1922 in Lily, PA.  He grew up in the Niagara Falls area where he attended school and held jobs in several local factories before spending 20 years in the employ of the Schrack Oil Company, where he delivered oil and coal.  At one time, he delivered the mail for Ocean County in Toms River, NJ, and had worked in one of the CC Camps in New York State.  His working career was interrupted by his service to his country when he joined the U.S.  Army in October of 1942.  Dave served in the South Pacific until his honorable discharge in October of 1945. In Princeton, NJ, on August 4, 1978, Dave married Bonnie Van Nostrand.  
        In 1984, the Morts moved to South Plymouth.  Dave enjoyed the area and his home and basically lived a quiet life.  He liked going to church when it was in the area, and was a member of the First Church of Christian Science of Boston, MA.  
        Dave is survived by his wife, Bonnie Mort of South Plymouth; by his daughter, Dava Mort of Niagara Falls; his sister-in-law, Anita Aprile and husband, Norman of Nineveh, NY; and their children, Holly Aprile and Bonnie Williams.  Several nieces and nephews also survive.  Dave was predeceased by his son, David Mort; and by all of his brothers and sisters.  
        Funeral services for Dave will be held on Thursday, February 5th at 8:00 PM from the R.  J.  Fahy Funeral Home, Norwich, NY.  The Rev.  Betty New of the First Church of Christian Science in Oneonta will officiate.  Interment with Military Rites will be at a later date in the South Plymouth Cemetery.  Friends are invited to call at the R.  J.  Fahy Funeral Home on Thursday from 7-8 PM.

Niagara Falls Gazette
Tuesday Nov 28, 1967

Mrs. Mort,
Mother of II,
Dies at 72

      Mrs. Emma Ruth Mort, 72, of 7013 Pine Ave., mother of 11 children all of whom are still living, died Monday (Nov. 27, 1967) at home after a long illness.  A native of Pittsburgh, Pa., she lived in Niagara Falls for the last 29 years and was the wife of Crad Mort.
      In addition to her children, Mrs. Mort is survived by 25 grandchildren and 39 greatgrandchildren. In addition to her husband, survivors are nine sons, Emerson, Willard, Harold, Marion, David, Glenn and Wayne Mort, all of this city; Craig Mort, El Monte, Calif, and William Mort; Philadelphia, Pa.; two daughters, Mrs. Beverly Knarr, this city, and Mrs. Mary Smith, Ridgecrest, Calif., and a brother, Robert Vane, Pittsburgh, Pa.
      Funeral services will be held Thursday at 2 p.m. at the Bell Funeral Home, with the Rev. Carlton Carpenter, of Calvary Baptist Church, officiating.  Burial will be in Memorial Park Cemetery.
      Friends may call today from 7 to 9 p.m. and Wednesday from 2 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m.

Niagara Falls Gazette
June 4, 1968

H. W. Mort, Hooker Retiree, Dies at 52

      Harold W. Mort, 52, of 7013 Pine Ave., died Monday (June 3, 1968) in Memorial Hospital.
     Born in Lilly, Pa., Mr. Mort was a resident of this city for 45 years. He served with the U.S. Army in the Philippines during World War II. He was employed by Hooker Chemical Corp. until 1945, when he became a self-employed painter and decorator. Mr. Mort is' survived by his father, Crad Mort, of this city; a son, Guy C. Mort, and daughter, Mrs. Gay Cicero, both of Niagara Falls; two sisters, Mrs. Beverly Knarr, this city, and Mrs. . Nellie Smith of Ridgenest, Calif.; eight brothers, Emerson, Glenn, Marion. Wi11ard , Wayne and David, all of this city; William Mort of Philadelphia, Pa., and Craig Mort of El Monte, Calif.
     Mr. Mort is also survived by four grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.
     Services will be held at the. Bell Funeral Home Thursday at 10:30 a.m. with the Rev. Carlton Carpenter officiating. Burial will be in Memorial Park Cemetery.
     Friends may call at the funeral home Tuesday from 7 to 9 p.m. and Wednesday from 2 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m.

Niagara Falls Gazette
June 3, 1969

Roy B. G. Mort

     Roy B. G. Mort, a science teacher in the Niagara Falls school system for -30 years and long-time leader of the Niagara Falls Federation of Teachers, died today June 3, 1969) at Veterans Administration Hospital, Buffalo, after a long illness. Mr. Mort, 62, held the post of regional director of the Empire S t a t e Federation of Teachers- from 1965 until his death. He was president of the Niagara Falls Federation twice and vice president of the American Federation of Teachers in 1964.
     Last August he served as chairman of the national federation convention in Cleveland.
     During World War II Mr. Mort served with the Seabees in the Pacific Theater. He received a bachelor's degree from Ohio Northern University, a master's degree in education from Niagara University and a Westinghouse Fellowship for study at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
      A native of Lily, Pa., he had lived in this city for 53 years. Prior to his retirement in 1965 he taught science at several schools in the city including South and Gaskill junior high schools.
     He is survived by his widow, the former Grace Pack; three sons. Roy Mort of Burlington. VI. and Dennis and Paul Mort of this city and one daughter, Alice Mort. also of this city.
     He is also survived by three brothers, Roderick Mort of this city, Edward Mort of Belmont, and David Mort of Waukesha, Wis., and four sisters. Mrs. Walter (Dorothy Knight of Wilmington, Del., Mrs. Robert (Caenwvn) Knox of Pulaski, N.Y., Mrs. William (Margaret Alice) Martin of Ann Arbor, Mich., and Mrs. Raul (Betty) Einstein of this city.
     Funeral services will be held at the Lane Funeral . Home Friday at 1 p.m., the Rev. Canon Richard B. Townsend of St. Peter's Episcopal Church officiating. Friends may call at the funeral home Wednesday and Thursday from 2 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m.

Niagara Falls Gazette
June 1969


     The presentation of a newly established award to be given the memory of Roy B. G. Mort, who died Tuesday, will highlight the annual installation dinner of the Niagara Falls Federation of Teachers, Local 801, Friday at the Echo Club.
      The Roy B. G. Mort Award bears the name of the regional Director of the Empire State Federation of Teachers, who also served two terms as president of the Niagara Falls Federation. Mr. Mort Taught science in the Niagara Falls school system for almost 30 years prior to his retirement in 1965.
      "The award will be given to the NFFT member who has made a particularly notable contribution to teacher unionism in Niagara Falls," said William Darrall, who will be sworn In as president of the local union at the dinner.
. . . . . .

Niagara Falls Gazette
March 1964

Illness Brings Sailor Home

If there Is a happy ending to the troubles of a Niagara Falls Navy machinist 'mate whose seven-week old son is suffering from congenial glaucoma, the American Red Cross will have played a major role in that happy ending.
      Bryan Mort, 24, son of Mrs. James Stark, 718 22nd St, was aboard ship in Cuban waters when notified of his son's illness. The Red Cross arranged for him to be flown to Niagara. Falls last week and is now trying to arrange a shore assignment so that he can be with his wife while; the baby is undergoing extensive treatment.
      Mrs. Mort, a son, 3, and the baby are residing with Mrs. Stark.

Menominee River shootings . . .
one year later

Gunman Scott Johnson took the lives of three innocent teenagers, and now sits in a prison cell for the rest of his life

WLUC TV6 Upper Michigan
By Beth Jones
Friday, July 31, 2009 at 5:32 p.m.

DICKINSON COUNTY -- It's been one year to the day since the tragedy on the Menominee River. Gunman Scott Johnson took the lives of three innocent teenagers, and now sits in a prison cell for the rest of his life.
      But for friends and families of the victims, the incident feels just like yesterday.
      A year ago Friday, Sylvia Mort received the phone call every parent dreads...that her son had been shot and he wasn't going to survive.
      "I take each day one at a time and some, I take minute by minute," explained Mort. "I just breathe and go on with what I have to do."
      The nightmare started at the East Kingsford Train Bridge where local teenagers were swimming in the Menominee River.
      Across the river, gunman Scott Johnson sat hidden in the brush. There, he loaded his rifle and began firing, killing three of the youngsters--Bryan Mort, Tony Spigarelli and Tiffany Pohlson.
      The other teens, including Katrina Coates, managed to escape, but not before she witnessed the death of her friend Tiffany.
      "Tiffany was holding my hand at the time, and we were walking up a hill and it was just silent," said Coates. "There was nothing said or done. I lost my best friend, that was the main part..."
      Friends of Tony Spigarelli are also dealing with a profound grief, but they're searching for meaning, as well...and for comfort.
      "This past summer, I also had lost my cousin, which they were really good friends. So every time I think of them two, I think of what they're doing up there and it makes you smile because they were so much alike," explained Maria Langsford.
      The story of this tragedy is featured in this week's "New Yorker" magazine.
      The author, Calvin Trillin, tries to figure out what led to Johnson's killing spree, writing that "he's said that what he (Johnson) contemplated doing was 'balancing the scales', so that people could understand the pain he'd been through."
      Trillin concluded that Johnson had no remorse for the crime-- "He said what he did regret, Trillin wrote, was that he had to live among people who were liars, gullible, arrogant, and brainwashed."
      No remorse for Scott Johnson maybe, but for the victims' families and friends, an incurable sadness that they'll live with the rest of their lives.
      Bryan Mort's mother does say she's certain she'll see her son again some day, and when she does, she has big plans.
      "I'll see him someday and I expect a game of basketball when I get there," Mort said tearfully. "Him and I would go and he'd always pick me to be on their team and I would be like aren't you guys embarrassed to be playing with your mom? And they're like, no, we take pride in it. So I expect that basketball game someday."

This has been posted several years ago but
is just a critical part to document the
Family of Mathias Mort
Frederick County, Maryland
Equity JS-1

These are abstracts from Equity Court Records of Frederick County, Maryland, Liber JS-1;

    Adam SNOOK and others vs Margaret MORT and John MORT of Christopher 

    This bill was filed to obtain decree for sale. Margaret 
    MORT and John MORT of Christopher were said to be "out 
    of the state of Maryland" and were minors and needed a 
    guardain assigned. All plantiffs and defendants were 

    Land - "Morts Lott" which was part of "Resurvey on 
    Mackey's Choice", 100 acres; "Resurvey on Welsh Cabin",
    8 3/4 acres; "Resurvey on Mackey's Choice", 12 3/4 acres;
    "Long Snake", 22 1/2 acres; all contiguous. 

    Sale was published in the Political Examiner in Fredericktown 
    and continued til October.  Sale was held in Middleburgh on 
    14 Jan 1818 with Adam SNOOK being the highest bidder paying 
    It was stated Adam SNOOK possessed three undivided parts of 
    7 parts.

    Heirs listed -
    1. Adam SNOOK
    2. Peter MORT, dec
    ....Mathias MORT and w/ Elizabeth MORT of John
    ....Peter MORT
    ....William MORT
    ....George MORT
    ....Elizabeth  w/o Philip BARNHART
    ....Christina  w/o George KINSEY
    ....Margaret  w/o Joseph CRAWFORD
    3. John MORT, dec'd
    ....Mathias MORT
    ....Peter MORT
    ....William MORT
    ....Jacob MORT
    ....George MORT
    ....Elizabeth  w/o Mathias MORT of Peter
    ....Sarah MORT
    ....John MORT
    ....Catherine MORT
    4. Susannah STRINE
    5. Christopher MORT
    ....Margaret MORT, a minor - Out of State
    ....John MORT, a minor - Out of State

    Final settlement - 16 Jul 1818.
Frederick County, Maryland
Equity JS-3
398-400 - MORT, STRINE, SNOOK, BROOKE - Mar 1820

    Adam SNOOK, et al - Reassignment of Trustee

    Richard BROOKE, esquire, now deceased, was appointed trustee to sell the real estate
    of Mathias MORT on 3 Dec 1817; which was sold for $3,280.36 to Adam SNOOK but Brooke
    died before conveying the property.  Susannah STRINE, Margaret MORT and John MORT 
    were minor children of Christian MORT, deceased.  Singleton DuVAL was appointed the
    new trustee.

Obituary Star-Telegram - (Feb/28/2009)

Ray Mort
Raymond William Mort Jr.
1938 - 2009

Inventor and avid aviator Raymond William "Ray" Mort Jr., an aeronautical design engineer who counted inventions for saving the lives soldiers and sailors of downed military helicopters among his many contributions to us all, died Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2009. He was 70.
Memorial service: A celebration of Ray's life will start at 3 p.m. Sunday at Hicks Airfield in his hangar. Details are available at or by calling 817-282-6940.
Memorials: His children have created First Flight Foundation ( in memory of Ray. The nonprofit foundation serves to promote the discovery of flight education for disadvantaged kids. Donations may be made to the foundation. Details for doing so are provided on the foundation's website.
The father of three died on his terms at his home of 36 years in Hurst after being hospitalized last week. Ray was diagnosed with prostate and lung cancer last year.
Known for his passion of flying, Ray spent his career designing helicopters and high performance aerobatic airplanes. He was awarded five patents for his work in aviation.
Born in Indianapolis, Ind., on April 12, 1938, Ray grew up in the outskirts of Chicago with his brother, Michael, and sisters, Pat and Linda. His father's family first arrived in America in the early 1700s. His mother's parents emigrated from Hungary, meeting each other on the boat.
Ray graduated in 1956 from Morgan Park High School, where he held the position of first lieutenant in the Army ROTC.
Ray attended Purdue University twice -" first earning his associate degree in aviation technology and later his bachelor of science in aeronautical engineering. In the process, his obtained his pilot's and aviation mechanic's licenses.
Ray moved to Texas in 1966. After working at General Dynamics for several years, Ray spent most of his career at Bell Helicopter. Most recently, he worked at Skyline Industries.
Ray also taught engineering classes for 18 semesters at Tarrant County College and provided consulting services through his company, AVT Engineering -" named for his three children: Adam, Valorie and Trey (Ray the third).
Blessed with a "we can do it" attitude, he was never intimidated by a challenge. Ray was known for his charm, sharp wit and everlasting smile.
He took great pride in being a father and cheering at his sons sporting events, which he rarely missed. Ray enjoyed yard work and making improvements to his home. He was very mechanically skilled and loved working on his muscle cars. Recently, he supervised the complete restoration of his 1970 Firebird, a car he cherished for over 30 years.
In 1963, Ray applied his aviation and mechanical skills to rebuild a Piper J3 Cub. With just the bare instruments, he flew this plane on his move to Texas -" navigating by sight using a highway roadmap.
Several years later, he constructed a Gee Bee Racer to near completion in his garage from scratch -- no formal plans were available. He simply created the patterns and design by analyzing photos and researching historical information. His designs have been purchased by some of the world's top aerobatic pilots to build extreme performance planes for competition; a recent example is Steve Grohsmeyers Eignhawk solution.
Survivors: His wife, Luba; his siblings; and his children

Published in the Public Opinion from 5/8/2009 - 5/10/2009

Evelyn M. Mort

Evelyn M. Mort, 96, of North Clear Ridge Road, Hustontown, PA died Thursday evening, May 7, 2009 at the Fulton County Medical Center, McConnellsburg,PA. She is survived by a son, Wayne Mort, Hustontown and a daughter, Ferne Mellott, Hustontown. Funeral services will be held at 11:00 AM, Monday, May 11, 2009 at the M. R. Brown Funeral Home, Hustontown. Friends may call at the funeral home from 6-8:00 PM on Sunday and one hour prior to the service on Monday.

Springfield News Leader Aug 9, 2009:
Ruth Mort

Ruth Mort

Ruth Mort, 79, Springfield, died peacefully in her home, August 6, 2009. Ruth was born on July 13, 1930 in Springfield, Missouri. She graduated from St. Agnes High School and from St. John's School of Nursing. She attended St. Joseph's and Sacred Heart Catholic Churches in Springfield. Ruth was a lifetime nurse and caregiver. She was Director of Nursing at St. John's Hospital in Springfield for many years. Ruth touched many lives in the training and supporting of her nurses to provide the best patient care possible according to the St. John's Mercy values. Ruth was totally devoted to her family. She is survived by brother, Wayne Beatty, Sparks, Navada; daughter, Sue Breedlove and her sons, Ben and Nick and grandson, Johnathan, Albany, California; son, Tim Mort and his wife Charla, their daughter, Tyler, granddaughters, Lola and Jinx and grandson, Phoenix, Springfield area; daughter, Molly Michael and her husband Steve, Springfield area; Theresa Heilman and her husband Dennis, son, Drew Witt, Springfield area; Carrie Morelock and her husband Dan, daughters, Valerie Enlow and husband Adam, daughter, Natalie, Springfield; daughter, Amy of the home. She was preceded in death by her husband, Gene; parents, Mary and Ralph Beatty; infant sons, Gene and Andy; sister, Sally; and brothers, Ralph, Bob, Harry, Ed, John and Bert; and grandson, Philip Witt. Visitation will be Sunday, August 9, 5 to 6:30 p.m. in Gorman-Scharpf Funeral Home. Funeral Mass will be 10 a.m. Monday, August 10, in St. Joseph's Catholic Church with Fr. Bob Landewe and Fr. Ernie Mort officiating. Thanks goes out to Integrity Home Health Care and a very special thanks is given to Jeannie, our angel. Memorial contributions can be made in the name of Ruth Mort to St. John's Hospice Care

Obituaries from the Southern Churchman
from the Virginia Genealogist
October-December `998 Volume 42, Number 4

Suddenly, on the 17th instant, at his residence in the county of Northampton, Eastern Shore, Va., the Rev. Hnnry Mort a native of Yorkshire, England, for the last eight years a resident of Northampton, where he was engaged as an instructor of youth ... (4 Oct `1844, p. 147)

Roster of Union Soldiers 1861-1865 - West Virginia

Mort, John, 1st Lt. Arty, Btty. F.
Mort, John 6th Inf. Co. C.

Information on Alma Sayre contributed by Lyn (McNalley)

She was removed from her grandmother's house in 1920 by order of her case worker.
He did a surprise visit and took her immediately with him at that time. He sighted neglect and abuse for the reasons.
Alma lived in the home of the Christie's for many years and even returned to them after her divorce from Charles McNalley. She was never their servant, just listed that way on the census. Mrs. Christie wanted desperately to adopt Alma but Mr. Christie didn't want to because she had many health problems and he didn't want to have to pay her medical bills.

Alma Sayre,
date committed: 7-6-1917, Osceola County, Judge Wm F. West, Case # 8924,
date admitted: 7-7-1917, Evart, Michigan. Date of Birth: July 22, 1913

Father: Sylvester Sayre, 29 yrs. old, resides in Alma, Michigan; later in Eaton Rapids, MI and also in Comstock, MI.

Mother: Isabella Sayre, 20 yrs. old, resides in Evart, MI
1923:  Mrs. Sidney Green, 516 Norman St., Saginaw, MI
1930:  Mrs. Arthur Lemere, 1336 West Van Buren St. apt. 17, Chicago, IL
1935:  Mrs. Arthur Lemere, 216 S. Laslin St., Chicago, IL

  9-11-17: Indentured to G.W. Boyd, Owosso, Shiawassee, County
10-27-17: Returned to S.P.S
10-05-17: Indentured to A.M. Davis, Village of Bancroft, Shiawassee, County
  1-14-18: Indentured to Mrs. Annie Dorrance, 200 W. Pearl St., Coldwater, MI
12-20-18: Returned to S.P.S.
  3-21-19: Indentured to Martin Alexander, Genesee County, Flint
  5-09-19: Transferred to home of Elmer Hursh, Flint, 7736 Illinois Ave., Genesee, County, MI
  8-06-20: Transferred to home of Wm. Christie, Byron, Shiawassee County, MI
10-17-31: Declared Self-supporting by action of the State Institute Commission, (married to Charles McNalley)

Contributed by Lyn (McNalley)

ChristChurch Court News: September 14, 2009

Plants targeted in early morning arsons, says crown

The crown alleges an arsonist phoned in his own handiwork and stayed to watch the firefighters put out the blaze.
      The defence says Samuel Gerald Mort lit nothing and the police have arrested the wrong man.
      Mort, a 30-year-old who lives near Greymouth, pleaded not guilty to three arson charges when his two-day trial began in the Christchurch District Court today.
      The crown says he targeted cabbage trees, tussock, bamboo, and a cemetery shed in the Christchurch suburbs of Linwood and Bromley one night in January.
      All of the items damaged in the early morning of January 18 belonged to the Christchurch City Council.
      Crown prosecutor Marcus Zintl said five fires were lit in and around Cutler Park on the corner of Clydesdale and Shetland streets, where cabbage trees, tussock, and a flax bush were damaged.
      These were lit from 1.43am to 4.16am, and the sixth was lit at 4.37am at Bromley Cemetery, damaging a shed and bamboo plant.
      At the scene of the fifth fire, the crown alleges Mort used his cellphone at 4.18am to make a 111 call and stayed while the firefighters put out the fire.
      About 4.30am, a witness saw a man getting over a fence from Bromley Cemetery and Mort has admitted this was probably him.
      A policeman saw him near the Bromley Community Centre and searched him after noticing a knife in his pocket. Mort had a lighter in the pocket of his hoodie.
      While he was being spoken to, a police dog and handler arrived. Mort had been tracked there from the scene of the last fire.
      His cellphone showed that he had made the 111 call.
      Mort gave statements to the police denying he had lit any of the fires. He said he got lost while walking from Pages Road, and for part of the time he was at a nearby service station getting a cigarette.
      Mr Zintl said the security camera showed he was there from 4.01am to 4.04am. The fourth fire was lit at 3.45am, and the fifth at 4.16am.
      The trial is before Judge Raoul Neave and a jury. Barnaby Hawes and Mr Zintl appear for the crown; Bridget Ayrey appears for Mort.

ChristChurch Court News: October 23, 2009

Guilty verdict on cemetery arson

A West Coast man has been convicted of setting alight a shed and bamboo plant at the Bromley Cemetery, after a retrial in the Christchurch District Court.
      The jury reached an 11-1 majority verdict at the end of the two-day trial of Samuel Gerald Mort, aged 30, who had travelled to Christchurch for the trial after a jury failed to agree on a verdict at his first trial in September. Two other arson charges were dismissed at the first trial.
      The blaze occurred early on January 18. Mort admitted he was in the area, where he was spoken to by the police, but denied setting any fires. He had phoned 111 to report a fire and then stayed to watch the firefighters put out the blaze.
      Bridget Ayrey appeared for Mort and Marcus Zintl appeared for the crown, at the trial before Judge Jane Farish.
      After the guilty verdict, Mort was remanded for sentence in Greymouth next month.


Altoona Mirror
November 7, 2009

Probation given in beating death
Doctor: Man died of head injury possibly caused by fight

By Phil Ray,

HOLLIDAYSBURG - Three Altoona men were each placed on three years' probation Thursday in connection with the beating death of another man during a neighborhood argument that escalated into a Labor Day weekend brawl four years ago.
      Abraham James Napolitana, 27, and his cousins, Daniel Theodore Mort II, 39, and James H. Mort, 21, entered no contest pleas to involuntary manslaughter charges for the death of Curtis Fleck.
      Although the men entered no contest pleas, there was no agreement on the sentence, which left Blair County Judge Hiram Carpenter with the decision to impose short prison terms based on the state's sentencing guidelines or place the men on probation.
      Carpenter decided to place them on probation and fine each man $1,000, saying that none of the men had prior records, two of the men were married and had children and they all had steady jobs.
      Fleck got into a neighborhood dispute with the men, and possibly others, during a block party Sept. 5, 2005. Fleck was upset that children were making noise on the street while he was attempting to sleep, authorities said.
      According to defense attorney Thomas M. Dickey, Fleck and a woman at the party on the 800 block of Fourth Avenue swung at each other. Both missed. The men then came to the woman's defense and pummelled Fleck.
      Fleck refused treatment, although the next day he went to the hospital.
      Fleck was found dead Sept. 21, 2005. An autopsy by Dr. William Kirsch found that Fleck died of a head injury. Kirsch indicated it could have occurred during the Sept. 5 brawl.
      Dickey said had he taken the case to trial, he would have produced testimony to show Fleck had been in two additional fights between Sept. 5 and 21, 2005.
      A preliminary hearing occurred 26 months ago, but the case had not come to trial.
      Blair County District Attorney Richard A. Consiglio said the trial was delayed while the defense hired experts to contest the theory that Fleck died as a result of the fight with the three men.
      While Dickey said he believed the men could not have caused Fleck's death, Consiglio retorted that he believed the evidence was strong enough to convict them of involuntary manslaughter - essentially an accidental death.
      Carpenter told the men it was "a hard case ... a difficult case."
      "My sense of it is the right thing here is to put you on probation, to give you the opportunity to show the court you are - as being represented - law-abiding people who just got involved in something."

Mirror Staff Writer Phil Ray is at 946-7468.

History of southwest Virginia, 1746-1786,
Washington County, 1777-1870
By Lewis Preston Summers, 1903, Page 791:


Was born in Strasburg, Shenandoah county, Virginia, September 10th, 1855. Moved to Bristol in 1876. Was appointed Commissioner of the Revenue for the city of Bristol in 1890. Was afterwards elected to succeed himself four times in that office, and served ten years. Was twice elected a member of the City Council. Was elected a member of the House of Delegates from Washington county and the city of Bristol in 1901.

Virginia Bible Records
By Jeannette Holland Austin
Page 56:
Abraham Mort Bible
Abraham Mort 9-16-1801 m. 1827       Catherine Mort 8/6/1834
Catherine Dennison 2/25/1808Mehaly Jane Mort 3/22/1848
John Mort 9/26/1828 Elizabeth mort 8/1/1836
Mary Elin Mort 7/20/1841Eliza Francis Mort ~`/22/1850
Anna Maria Mort 9/20/1830mary Ann Mort 7/11/~
Soffia Mort 2/19/1843William David Mort 3/22/1854
Henry Mort 3/9/1832Mehaly Jane Mort d. 3/15/1835,
Jeremiah Mort 1/4/1845    aged 6 yrs. 11 Mo. 24 days

St. Joseph News-Press
October 6, 2000
River Bluffs librarian
receives writing award

        A librarian with the River Bluffs Regional Library received a prestigious award from the Missouri Library Association this week.
        John Mort, an adult services specialist with the library system, was given the Missouri Library Association's Literary Award for the book he wrote titled "Soldiers in Paradise."
        The award recognizes a Missouri writer or a person who's written an outstanding book on Missouri life.
        The book is about the Vietnam War and its aftermath. Mr. Mort served in the Vietnam War as a radio operator with the First Calvary Division in 1960 and 1970.

22 November 2009
Elsie Mort

EAST PALESTINE- Elsie Mort, 91, of 516 West Main St., passed away at 3:51 a.m. Saturday at the Covington Health Center, where she had been a patient.
    Mort was born April 4, 1918, in East Palestine, a daughter of the late Albert J. and Ada Jane Johnson Aldridge Sr., and was a life resident of the community.
    She had been a member of the Centenary United Methodist Church.
    Her husband, Leonard A. Mort, whom she married Sept. 16, 1943, preceded her in death on March 5, 1980.
    Mort is survived by a son, Dr. Gary L. (Gayle) Mort of Peoria, Ariz., and a brother, Robert W. Aldridge of Negley.
    The funeral service will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Burns Memorial Chapel, Glenview Cemetery, with her brother-in-law, Leslie Rucker, officiating. Burial will follow in the cemetery. Calling hours will not be observed.
    The family has asked that material tributes take the form of contributions to the East Palestine Emergency Medical Technicians.
    Arrangements were with the Oliver-Linsley Funeral Home.

Kinderhook, Columbia County, New York
1790 Census*
                             MALES    Females
                        >16  <16     
John Mort Jun
           1    1    1
John Mort                2    1    3
Frederick Mort           1    1    2

* These surnames could be Moet, Mort, Most, Mast

Fox8 Tributes
Helen Mort

Helen Mort, 104, of San Diego, CA passed away peacefully with family present on December 3, 2009. Helen was born to Josef Hotek and Frances Vinchattle on their family farm in Otho, Iowa, April 9, 1905, the youngest of nine children. She shared many a story of “back on the farm” with us which had her rising early to complete chores before school, walking miles in the snow, cooking for farm hands, learning to crochet, sew, quilt and tat. These talents benefited all who knew her as we treasure her handmade gifts.
    Helen attended a one room school house, graduating in 1923 where she played girls basketball. The team made their own uniforms which consisted of black bloomers, white blouses and black ties.
    For a graduation present she received a round trip train ticket to Hollywood, CA and quickly fell in love with the area. She cashed in the return portion of her ticket and settled here.
    She landed a job at Bensons Hosiery’s and began filling her spare time with lots of dances, trips to Catalina Island, adventures in the Mountains, and days at the Strand.
    Helen met the love of her life, Frank, whom she married on January 1, 1938. They made their home in San Diego, CA at that time. When their daughter’s came along, they moved to La Mesa where they operated Mort’s Market along with Frank’s father, Otis.
    Later they moved to Pacific Beach, where the daughter’s attended school and Helen became involved with the PTA, girl scouts, Job’s Daughters, swimming lessons and dance lessons. Helen sewed many a costume and later the girls prom dresses. Her activities included Past President of the Ladies of the Elks, Pacific Beach garden club and helping all the organizations which her daughters participated in. She also worked at their plastic business, running the office.
    After her husband’s passing, she became very involved in an aerobics program for seniors at her apartment in University City. She was able to do push ups and would show us her strength and agility even in her “old age”. She joined the women’s club and became very active in bingo, card playing , pot lucks and dinners.
    With her talents of sewing, crocheting and tatting, she chose to donate her blankets, booties, caps and sweaters to the preemies at Scripps Hospital for which she was recognized. She said it kept her busy and smiling.
    Helen’s life was full, right from the start, surrounded by a loving, hard working family. She was a devoted wife, mother, grandmother, great grandmother and dear friend who will be greatly missed by all.
    Helen is survived by her two daughters; Mary Weinbrecht and husband Bill, Frances Greathouse and husband Roy; three grandchildren, Sheri Rathor and husband Toki, Mark Weinbrecht and wife Kim, Ray Greathouse; Four great granddaughters, Amanda Weinbrect, Sabrina Rathor, Alyza Rathor and Sophia Rathor. Helen is preceded in death by her husband Frank L. Mort in June of 1989.
    A Celebration of her life will be held at Pacific Beach Chapel, 4710 Cass Street, San Diego, CA 92109 on Monday, December 28, 2009 at 11:00 AM. In lieu of flowers, the family would like donations be made to your favorite charity in Helen’s name.

Published in the Bennington Banner from 12/15/2009 - 12/16/2009
Contributed by Nancy Bridges - NancyB655 @

Shirley Mort Peabody


BENNINGTON — Shirley Mort Peabody, 69, a resident of South Branch Street died peacefully at her home on Monday morning Dec. 14, 2009 surrounded by her loving family.

Shirley was born in Bennington on Nov. 12, 1940, she was the daughter of the late W. Leslie and Marjorie Mattison Mort.  Shirley grew up in Bennington and was a 1959 graduate of Bennington High School, she had worked at the former F.W. Woolworth Store, Thompson Manufacturing for 22 years and JLF Manufacturing in North Bennington.  Shirley enjoyed doing yardwork and gardening, pickling and making jams and jellies, she will be remembered for her delicious pies she so much enjoyed baking.  She was very close with her two grandchildren whom she adored.

She leaves her son, and daughter-in-law, Robert W. and Michelle Freeman Peabody III of Bennington, grandchildren, Lucas R. Peabody and Megan M. Peabody both of Bennington, sister-in-law, Maydene W. Mort, of Bennington, nephew, W. Chris Mort, of Hoosick, N.Y., niece ,Cheryl Mort, of Bennington as well as other nieces, nephews and cousins.  In addition to her parents she was predeceased by a brother William E. Mort.

FUNERAL NOTICE:  service to celebrate the life of Shirley will be held at the HANSON-WALBRIDGE FUNERAL HOME on Thursday Dec. 17 at 1 p.m. with Reverend Matthew Bowles and Reverend Vincent Coppola officiating.  Burial will precede the service at noon in the Mort family lot in Park Lawn Cemetery.  A memorial reception will take place at the Sacred Heart St. Francis de Sales Parish hall following the funeral home services.

At Shirley's request there are no calling hours.

In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts in her memory may be made to The Second Chance Animal Center or VNA and HospiceCare of SW Vermont Medical Center in care of the Hanson-Walbridge Funeral Home, 213 West Main Street, Bennington, VT 05201.

59th Thomas William Mort
Family Reunion
Sunday June 27, 2010
Family Fun & Visits     11:00
Mort Pot Luck Dinner   12:30

2010 Mort Reunion
will be held at the
Home of
Dee and Donna (Mort) Jackson
1390 North State Road 5
Larwill, IN 46764
June 27, 2010

7th house north of US-30 on SR-5

Twyla & Andy Chalk
1242 SR 314 North
Mansfield, Ohio 44903
2010 President & Secretary/Treasurer

2007 Mort Reunion Photos

2008 Mort Reunion Photos

Mort Families of Lancashire

Return to the MORT Family Homepage

Write to

Mort Photos - 1880 - Mort Research - 1994 - 1995 - 1996 - 1997 - 1998 - 1999 - 2000

2001 - 2002 - 2003 - 2004 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 - 2009 - 2010

Mort Tombstone PhotosMort Photos 2008

December 29, 2009